What was so genius is that no one suspected Pierce was actually a formidable secret asset to the department.
- There were the ears permanently cocked and ready to eavesdrop on criminal conversations.
- There were the wide-set bulging eyes that never missed a movement and could look left and right at the same time.
- There were the protruding bottom teeth, excellent for picking locks.
- There was the stubble on the chin, the roly-poly neck, and the pork-pie hat. Actually, they had no special qualities other than to disarm the public.
- But the flat feet were an absolute necessity for any good detective and that curly-q tail of Pierce’s could snake through even the smallest hole with a remote camera.