If there is one thing I've enjoyed fondling since my love affair with paper began back in ought-2, it's vellum. I made so many cards using painted vellum, it's not funny and I spent hours on the console being consoled when they stopped making that stuff. Sniff. Oh, stop, I still have some in my stash, so you'll be seeing it again.
Needless to say, I am delighted to see vellum being "discovered" all over Bloggerville right now. One wonderful blog talking about it this week is the Papertrey Ink Make It Monday challenge, where Lizzie shows us how to soften patterns with vellum layovers.
Here is my card Numeruno:
I love this sweet NBUS balloon paper from SU that I used for my patterned background. I popped my vellum focus pocus up on foam stilts like Lizzie did and I even tossed in some matching sequints to make mine a shaker card. Well, it turns out some vellum not only softens patterns, they make sequins invisible. So, not wanting to waste them, I sprung them to use another day when I'll use one of my lighter weight vellum sheets that are easier to see through.
Aside note: I used a transfer sheet (basically a large Xyron sheet) on the back of the text block die cut which applies adhesive. That's all fine and good, but even after lots of burnishing with a sheet of nonstick paper and my pants (and a lot of picknitting), there are still little boogers of adhesive stuck to the letters. I don't like that and I wonder if you have any secret remedy for it?
I mean beside wodka which does make them less noticeable.
My card numerdos:
I sponged distress inks using my NBUS Winnie & Walter "Flash" stencil in spun sugar, spiced marmalade, shabby shutters, mustard seed, and broken china. Served with a Sizzer Salad and crusty bread. The small star is from GKW, stamped in SU almost amethyst. The sediment is a NBUS die, also from W&W, called "The Big, the Bold, the Party," which I inlaid into my vellum banner. The banner is cut using an MFT die.
Wait. What? You inlaid in vellum? Thin, flimsy, pesky vellum? How you did that?
Well, to be fair, it was Hammy's idea. He really loves vellum, too, and we hadn't tried inlaying with it before. It works like normal diecut inlays. I first ran the die and clear vellum through the BS and carefully removed the diecut. I next ran the die and pink vellum through and removed the diecut.
Then I laid a piece of clear packing tape behind the negative space on the clear vellum. It's a nice width so it's great for making a banner and it gave my diecute some adhesive to stick to as it nestled back into the negative space. Plus, it's a great way to add a little stiffness to the banner without obscuring the view underneath.
(I will make another card with this pink diecut.)
It did work very well, so high tens to the hamster. Gotta love that guy.
Besides the MIM challenge, I'm entering:
- Addicted to Stamps and More: Use Your Mark (sponges).
- Inkspirational: Space (white space and stars in space).
- Just Us Girls: Photo inspiration.
- Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: Anything Goes.
Click the Home tab under my blog banner which resets the post.
Click Page Down to reach the end of the post.
Click Comments and the pop-up box opens.
Click Jump to Comment Form; no more car pool tunnel! Mwah!
If you ask me a question in your comment, please remember to leave
me your email address so I can respond. Thank you!